Important roadworks information
A14 junction 50, Stowmarket to junction 52, Claydon in both directions: resurfacing
I write to inform you that we will be carrying out essential resurfacing works at the above location. Necessary maintenance works such as, fixing damaged road signs, upgrading vehicle safety barriers, replacing faded line markings and road studs will also be completed during this work.
We plan to complete this work over twelve weeks from Monday 11 May to Friday 31 July, on weeknights only, working between the hours of 8pm to 6am, subject to weather conditions.
Due to the extensive amount of work on this project, we have split the programme into three phases. We have closely liaised with county councilors and Suffolk Highways, to agree the most suitable diversion routes for each phase as detailed below:
Phase 1: A14 eastbound between junctions 50 to 51, starting Monday 11 May to Friday 19 June (6 weeks)
- The closure point will be located at junction 43, Bury St Edmunds. Traffic will be diverted via the A143 and A140 to re-join the A14 at junction 51. This allows us to deliver additional maintenance works at junctions 43, 44 and junctions 47 to 50. (Diagram 1)
- A secondary closure point will start at junction 50, Stowmarket. Traffic will be diverted via the A1120 and A140. A four-way traffic light system will be installed at Earl Stonham to help filter traffic onto the A140, to re-join the A14 at junction 51. (Diagram 2)
Phase 2: A14 eastbound between junctions 51 to 52, starting Monday 22 June to Friday 3 July (2 weeks)
- The closure point will start at junction 51, Beacon Hill. Traffic will be diverted via Norwich Road, Barham and Ipswich Road, Claydon to re-join the A14 at junction 52. (Diagram 3)
Phase 3: A14 westbound between junctions 52 to 50 starting Monday 6 July to Friday 31 July (4 weeks)
- A14 traffic: The closure will start at junction 52, Claydon. Traffic will be diverted via B1113 and A1120 to re-join the A14 at junction 50. Temporary traffic lights may be required to improve traffic flows along the route. (Diagram 4)
- A140 traffic: Traffic wishing to join the A140 northbound at junction 51 will be diverted via Ipswich Road, Claydon and Norwich Road, through Barham (Diagram 5). A140 southbound traffic wishing to join the A14 westbound will be pre-diverted at Earl Stonham to take the A1120, to join the A14 at junction 50.
Please be aware, during daytime hours there will be a temporary 40mph speed limit in place along the A14 between junctions 50 and 52 for safety reasons.
Please be assured all our sites have strict safeguarding measures to prevent the spread of COVID19 and none of our sites are open to the public. We will be carrying out all works following safety guidelines set by the Government.
Find out more
To stay informed about all the latest major roadworks happening near you, visit www.gov.uk/government/organisations/highways-england to register for the latest alerts. If you have any enquiries please contact the Highways England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Manager, Operations East Scheme Delivery Team